CTOR has harnessed the immense power of translational research to revolutionize Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics treatment. Our unwavering quest for accurate biological theories and predictable biomechanics drives us to design, test and patent innovative tools that empower clinicians who seek optimized treatments for their patients. CTOR’s dedicated team of clinician-scientists and biomedical engineers share their passion for innovation with their students who eagerly seek intellectual challenges that are best met by combining rigorous training and fearless creativity. CTOR students are prepared to inherit the future of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and the leadership roles that will make them renowned for their passion and commitment to Craniofacial Biology, Education and Patient Care.
At the heart of CTOR is our passion for research and innovation. CTOR was able to contribute to many scientific breakthroughs in understanding the biological and mechanical principles of craniofacial form and function, and how these interact with each other. In addition, by translating our basic science investigations into clinical practice, we have generated 9 patents and 3 commercially available appliances to optimize Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics’ treatments. Our success in implementing a translational research program gives us insights into best practices for integrating interdisciplinary biomedical teams, all to benefit our patients.
Today’s clinicians and basic science researchers needs to be more familiar with each other fields. Evidence-based medicine and dentistry demands an in-depth knowledge of basic science, and ground-breaking research demands a working knowledge of clinical pathologies. We at CTOR recognize this gap in education and are committed to help clinicians and scientists to expand their knowledge in both clinical and scientific aspects of craniofacial Orthopedics and Orthodontics through an extensive array of educational programs:
- Specialty Training in Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics – we offer a 36-month program that provides specialty training to US- and foreign-trained dentists to become both exceptional Orthodontists and translational scientists.
- Clinical and Research Fellowships in Craniofacial Orthopedics and Orthodontics – We offer full- and part- time Clinical and Research Fellowship Programs for dentists, physicians and allied healthcare providers in the field of Craniofacial Orthopedics and Orthodontics.
- Continuing Education (CE) Programs – We offer CE courses to clinicians looking to expand their clinical skills and knowledge through innovative and rewarding CE Programs
- Graduate Education in Biomedical Engineering – We partner with Stevens Institute of Technology to offer both an MS and PhD in Bioengineering for exceptionally dedicated individuals who share our passion for advancing treatments for patients with craniofacial pathologies.
DISSEMINATION OF KNOWLEDGE
While advancing the science is the main goal of CTOR, these advancements should be shared nationally and internationally by other clinicians and scientist to have an impact in our field. Therefore, one of the main efforts of CTOR has been focused on the dissemination of knowledge including the following initiatives:
- INNOVATION – CTOR Press new open access journal offers clinicians and scientists an opportunity to publish their innovative research for free.
- Textbooks – Mechanotherapy in Orthodontics book series from CTOR Pressis an innovative and comprehensive orthodontic book that guides students and clinicians from basic biomechanics principles to advanced mechanotherapy concepts, incorporating current scientific evidence on advances in tooth movement and craniofacial growth.
- CTOR YouTube channel – offers short educational videos on Mechanotherapy in orthodontics, discusses the latest research publications from CTOR team, and reviews clinical cases where these principle are applied in its “Back to the Clinic” series
- National and International Scientific Meetings – We at CTOR are actively involved in the International Association for Dental Research (IADR), American Association for Dental Research (AADR), the Greater New York Dental Meeting (GNYDM) as active leaders in these organizations and by supporting awards in recognition of outstanding research by faculty and students.